Thursday, October 18, 2012

Back in Houston, TX!

I'm back in Houston!
Sorry for the delay in updating the blog, I'm having trouble with my cellphone's signal (probably an issue with the hardware) so I could not update much from the road.

The flight to Phoenix was uneventful. On Sunday night Don and Pat too me to the airporter shuttle.  With two bags (consisting of panniers strapped to each other) and the bicycle box I departed to the Sea-Tac airport, in Seattle.

My flight was only in the next morning at 8:05am, but due to the inconvenient shuttle schedule during the morning time I decided to go in the previous day at night and avoid having Don and Pat taking me there in the middle of the night. So I arrived and, as expected, was unable to check the bags in at that time.

I roamed in the airport looking for a place to stay and found a good spot at the waiting area. I had my sleeping bag with me and planned on sleeping there but I was not sleepy at all, and at 2:00am I just decided I was not going to sleep at all. So I walked to a Starbucks, got a coffee and worked on my things for a few hours.

There I met a cool guy who lived in Alaska. We started talking about his experience with Ayahuasca. Maybe I'll try it once at some point ( We also talked about living in Alaska and how would it be to make a bike tour in the remote regions of that state.

At about 5:30am I packed the laptop, checked the bags and the box in and passed through the security line. I tried to sleep in the flight but no luck...

Once I arrived in Phoenix Tiago was about to get there, and in a few minutes I saw his truck. It was a big moving truck almost full with his brother's stuff. We managed to arrange space for the bicycle box and the bags and our trip to Houston started. It was a long drive. We were both tired so we decided to spend the night in El Paso, TX where in the morning he was planning on getting a car.

We slept at a motel 6 and in the morning drove to the seller's address. The place was terrible, and adding to that the factor the car was listed on craigslist, and that it was in El Paso (dangerous place to get a car), it was not looking good. Tiago called the guy but he never answered. We tried for about an hour, then gave up and returned to the road, this time towards Houston.

We had 3 hours driving shifts. I was hoping not to get stopped by the police since I had lost my driver's license in the bicycle tour and never had a chance to get a replacement. Unfortunately, there was a big border patrol operation and they were stopping everyone. And I happened to be driving at the time.

Once our turn to show the papers came the officer asked if we were both citizens. I explained I am a permanent resident. He asked to see my green card and I showed to him. Tiago then started to make lots of questions and soon there was a line of cards behind us. The policeman didn't want to spend more time with us and ended up not asking for the drivers license! We were too lucky!

From there we drove until night time without much interruption. We only stopped for dinner at a Pizza Hut and took the opportunity to watch the presidential debate that was happening at the time.

We ended up arriving at about 1:30am and went to sleep straight. That was a good night of sleep for me, I rested like a rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment